View Single Post
      09-19-2021, 09:46 AM   #11
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

OP,

When I was purchasing a new car in 2018, I had narrowed it down to two cars; the Golf R (New) and M235IX (Used).

As much as the practical side of my brain wanted the Golf (my personal opinion is that a hatchback or wagon is a perfect car), the driving dynamics favor the BMW. Also, the power delivery of the BMW straight 6 (in N55 or B58 form) is hard to beat; the Golf is a fine car but the BMW driving experience and balance beats it every time in AWD form.

The ZF 8 speed works well in manual mode and is extremely fast. I prefer a stick, so I am still struggling with the auto box (after 3 years!), but this is more of a personal problem on my part, rather than the efficacy of the transmission. The ZF 8 speed is brilliant.

Given your location, if you can afford a second set of wheels and tires, I would go with the RWD / Winter Tire combo. It is definitely preferable over the AWD for better vehicle dynamics. I run summer HP tires here in CT and a set of Winter Tires (proper snow rated tires) during the snowy months as I have a very long commute (My M235 is my DD) and the extra margin of safety is important to me here in New England. If you go with the M240 Vert, you will not have any regrets. If you look at my signature, I am a roadster guy as well; I have a Z4M that will get out of the garage today for a ride to the coast for lunch in a few minutes!

My two cents Good luck with your deliberations!

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 1