View Single Post
      09-17-2021, 02:23 PM   #2
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Had a 2016 Golf R with manual transmission until recently, have a 2017 M240i with manual.

- Suspension - M240i is superior at the limit and from a general damping perspective and handles most bumps better. R can corner flatter in "Race" mode, but otherwise tends to be crashy on bumps unless in comfort mode where it floats too much.
- Brakes - M240i stands up much better to hard use, R faded more at the track and rear brakes tend to be prone to high wear. M240i has much more positive brake feel when the brakes are hot, I would consider the R brakes to be a bit marginal for hard use.
- Steering - M240i has less feel around straight ahead, but is better pretty well everywhere else, also is better weighted for my needs compared with R when both in sport mode.
- Solidity - M240i feels a lot more solid and stable in normal use, other than the R stability on snow when compared with a RWD M240I

I always preferred driving the M240i in all conditions (including snow and ice), The R was a very good "shopping car" and all-rounder for us, now replaced with a Macan S. The M240i is the best of the 3 from my driving experience perspective.
Appreciate 1