02-10-2015, 08:16 PM   #72
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by advantage20 View Post
I understand BMW's need to vulgarize its lineup with minivans, superminis, FWD and what not... in order to reduce CO2 emissions, allow independence, inject more funds into R&D and more extreme M models...

But where are these more extreme M models? Porsche is up front about its business model: Cayennes, Macans, Panameras, and eventually Pajuns to fund the development of cars like the GT2, GT2 RS, GT3, GT3 RS, GT3 RS 4.0, Spyder, Cayman R, and the glorious, glorious Cayman GT4.

If BMW has to make a ton of Active Tourers and Gran Tourers to allow the M division to make hardcore M cars, then sign me the hell up. But where are these extreme and hardcore M models? The F cars with their augmented cabin noise ain't it. The last hardcore M model that really got me excited with the E90 M3 CRT, and that one didn't even make it to the US.

As a business, BMW is doing great. Revenue and profits are up, and the board is as happy as they can be. As a car company focused on enthusiasts, BMW has long lost its way.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0