p912guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Sorry to hear you had an issue.

Now imagine if the guy in front of you had a Porsche or a Ferrari. How he'd feel about your moment of inattention.

How would you feel if you got tagged from behind by someone answering their cell phone or texting?

Was the phone call that important?

Expensive lesson for sure...and be thankful the vehicle you hit had the trailer hitch otherwise you'd be on the hook for that damage also.

If I sound a bit unsympathetic, it's because I am. I see so much distracted driving and fear I will be on the receiving end of that inattention. Drivers leaving their lanes on the interstate because they are fiddling w/ phones of whatever. I watch people get in their cars, start the engine and get on the cell phone as they start to drive..............insanity!

It's not just the repair bill, but the diminished value of the car that will affect trade in or re-sale. And for what, a fickin' phone call.
No, the phone call wasn't that important. I was on my lunch break running a few errands and had a few things on my mind. Not to excuse my inattention, but I wasn't texting (I know better) and I wasn't even picking up my phone. I literally glanced down at my steering wheel to push the bluetooth "answer" button on the steering wheel. It could have just as easily happened while glancing out my rearview mirror or up at the infotainment screen to see what radio station was playing. It happened just that quickly. I'm not looking for sympathy. I created the post to demonstrate how quickly an accident can happen, and yes that's why they are called "accidents".

Regarding repair costs, maybe I am just hopefully and unrealistically optimistic it will be under $1K. I plan to stop by my preferred repair shop next week and I will provide an update on the damage estimate and recommended repair.

FIY, park distance sensors are all fine. The only damage is the puncture from the trailer hitch. I don't blame the guy in front of me for having his hitch attached. In my area of the world that's very common. In fact I have a hitch sticking out of the back of my truck's hitch receiver.
17 GMC Canyon Denali Long Bed 4x4 (Tailgatin, Haulin & Towin)
various 'one design' sailboats / stinky hockey gear
Appreciate 0