View Single Post
      12-20-2018, 01:59 PM   #34
loudiamond15
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i Mineral White

Confirmed Coolant Leak - Update

So I got a call from the stealership Tuesday morning. They found there was a puncture in my radiator which looked like it had been caused by a rock or some other debris from the road kicking up and hitting it. So either I am the unluckiest person in the world or there is a serious design flaw that would allow for something like this to happen. Long story short, it's not covered by warranty and oddly enough it appears it was not related to my initial low coolant issue a couple months ago. Either way, I'll still be keeping an eye on the coolant levels moving forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudiamond15 View Post
So I first started researching this issue about 2 months ago when I took my 2018 M240i in for its first scheduled service at 9k miles. I started getting the low coolant warning about a week before my appointment. Like most others I read about, I checked both reservoirs and the main one was indeed under the "low" mark. As instructed by the stealership's service department, I topped her off with distilled water until they could get a look at it in a week's time. I did that and did not have the coolant warning come back. I also had no evidence whatsoever of any leaking anywhere I parked. I took it in for the appointment and the tech said the same as most have posted, that it was most likely slight evaporation and wasn't completely topped off from the dealer and there were no leaks of any kind anywhere. I kept a keen eye on it for the next month and saw no issues so I thought nothing more of it.

Fast forward to this past weekend. I took a short trip to a friend's Christmas party who lives about 2 hours away (125 miles one way). I get back into town and right as I'm on my last 5 miles of the trip, the coolant warning comes on again. I get home, park and within minutes I could see a pool forming under the front left (if you're looking at the headlights). I thought it may be water condensation from running the A/C, but nope, it definitely had a blue tint. After the car cooled down enough to check late that night I confirmed that the main reservoir was below the "low" mark again considerably. I called the stealership's service department this morning and scheduled to take it in. It's currently sitting there waiting for assessment.

For reference, I don't drive the car hard a lot. Mostly the only time I really get on it is when I'm merging onto the interstate going to and from work each day. I'd say it's about a 50/50 mix of highway/in-town driving. I just passed 11000 total miles. No mods of any kind, so it's straight factory. I'll update this when I get word back from the service department.
Appreciate 0