Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Forget the Golf R, long wait times over a year and mark ups

The mk8 GTI is getting great reviews despite some teething problems

Others to consider:

Audi S3
Audi TT
BMW m235i or m240i

All of the above are in the same affordable price range used compared to the GTI
S3 is an overpriced Golf R with the old Haldex setup and a bad form factor. Forget that one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mecheng77 View Post
Forget the Golf R, long wait times over a year and mark ups

The mk8 GTI is getting great reviews despite some teething problems

Others to consider:

Audi S3
Audi TT
BMW m235i or m240i

All of the above are in the same affordable price range used compared to the GTI
S3 is an overpriced Golf R with the old Haldex setup and a bad form factor. Forget that one.
What do you mean bad form factor? Did the mk7 golf r have the haldex? Yes the magna system is better but you can't get a mk8
I'm only a year into the wait, I had one on the Felicity Ace, oops. Still no word on when I'll get one, but lots of manuals just arrived, so maybe I'll get lucky. I just don't like sedans, would always prefer a hatch.

The 8y S3 is basically a carryover of the Mk7 R, with Haldex v5 and the evo2 version of the EA888. The Mk8 R gets the Magna setup and the evo4 EA888 with the Continental turbo. Early tunes have shown it has a lot more potential than the old IS38 turbo. I'd assume they'll refresh the S3, it doesn't make sense to have it lag the Golf R and 8Y RS3 for long.
Appreciate 0