View Single Post
      04-12-2016, 03:12 PM   #58
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

One thing I've noticed about this 6MT is that the tranny fluid viscosity must lean more towards a mild race-spec package because the fluid requires quite some time to get up to temp. I say that because the tranny can be slightly resistant on occasion to get into 3rd and 4th and the 1-2 can be a bit notchy when cold. I notice this most when the tranny is stone cold and in colder weather. Based on what I'm seeing, the tranny needs a good 10-15 minutes of driving before it becomes smooth shifting. To account for this, I don't rush the shifting nor do I force anything if I feel an inkling of resistance.

Like with many direct injection turbos and their fat powerbands, taking 1st to redline really isn't the fastest way to accelerate. You'll actually be a bit quicker short-shifting the 1-2 at 6000rpms vs 7000rpms. This helps load up the turbo at the start of 2nd.

I can't say I've ever felt any resistance slamming the 1-2 shift, but I don't do it often at all and if I do, I've been driving for 20+ minutes before doing so. In almost all occasions where I'm feeling frisky, I'll wind out 1st to 5500-6000rpms and quickly (not slam it) shift to 2nd. There's really no point to slamming the 1-2 unless you're drag racing under the timers. With the 8AT cars and in manual mode, you can clearly feel the torque management system softening a WOT 1-2 shift to preserve transmission longevity.

As for those with power modifications, you should really be careful about letting the tranny get up to temp and not slamming the 1-2 routinely. That extra 50-100+ wtq will certainly take it's toll on the synchronizer over time especially with all the torque multiplication in 1st and 2nd gears.

What does confuse me greatly are some of the repair costs I've seen thrown around regarding the 6MT. Per the getBMWparts.com website, the M235 6MT (rebuilt) is around $2,650 and you get a $600 core back. The flywheel and clutch assembly are around $1,500 total, I believe. If you were replace the bell housing (don't know why you'd need to), the all in cost for 6MT, clutch, flywheel, accessory parts, etc. is around $5,000. So where in the hell are these crazy costs coming from?

And for those wondering, the ZF 8AT is $7,000.

Last edited by XutvJet; 04-12-2016 at 03:20 PM..
Appreciate 0