04-11-2016, 04:17 PM   #51
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
This isn't so much of a problem with the gearbox as it is just a limitation on this kind of car -- go google this problem, and a lot of people (E46 M3 included) have this issue. This is not a drag car -- it does not like it when you slam shift from 1 to 2. You can, but your synchros will go out. This is a road course car, where you never shift lower than second gear.
I never "slammed" the shift, I merely waited less than I usually do between 1st and 2nd while my revs hovered around 5000rpm. Any car should be able to take it with ease, in fact my brother's old rusty Mazda never had problems with dynamic 1st-2nd shifts. Shouldn't we expect the same from an M-car ?

Let's stop making apologies for those fragile and under-engineered BMW transmission and clutch components. BMW is not stupid: it is done on purpose because not only are those components designed fragile BMW dealers later charge Ferrari prices to fix them. See the pattern here ? Sorry for not drinking BMW coolaid but I expect more from a car with M-letter in its name.
Appreciate 0