SpencerC_6MT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M240i 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M240I  [0.00]
Wavetrac vs. Quaife and other LSD questions

I'm looking at buying an LSD for my M240i (6-speed), but I have a few questions on how the process works and I'm curious of people's thoughts.

Firstly, if ordering from diffsonline, do they ship a full differential with a case, or just the "guts" so to speak? My shop was working on the assumption that they'd have to tear apart the diff and install the limited-slip mechanicals, but that doesn't seem to be the case. I've also read that either the ring gear or pinion gear is very difficult to remove, and not really designed to be fooled with.

Next, the biggest question I have really, is the $200 jump from Wavetrac to Quaife worth it? It seems to me like Quaife is the "gold standard" most will go for, but it also seems inferior to Wavetrac in design from what I can tell. I know both are helical, but Wavetrac advertises a system to prevent loss of power delivery when one driven wheel is momentarily unloaded, i.e. going over a crest. Why does Diffsonline charge more for Quaife?

Finally, does anyone (especially 6MT owners) have experience with swapping to a 3.46 ratio? The gears are too long for my taste, and even though the highway cruise will be a bit noisier, I think the ratio swap is a good investment. But I'm curious about any forum-goers' thoughts.
Appreciate 0