11-02-2016, 02:33 PM   #33
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatrickM3 View Post
Based on your experience?

Most laws concerning cars over here in the Netherlands are created by very left wing politicians. Cars and environment are the cash cow of our governement. That is why many people chose to drive a diesel-saver or small petrol engine. Hybrid cars drive mostly on petrol engines on the highway, yet still they are heavily supported by various tax cuts for the owners and drivers....

It is true that driving a big car is sometimes seen as not done. Showing you can afford something more is many times not appreciated. (sadly) We even have a word invented for SUV's : Shoppingmall Tractor. (actually a free translation of PC Hooft Tractor)

I drive a big diesel until the end of the year and had my badges left off, because I loved the cleaner look of the rear of the car. I have an M Sport package which stands out a lot more than a few BMW or engine badges with its bulky bumpers and mini M badges all over.
Based on the fact that I'm Belgian, lived in the Netherlands for many years and my parents, until recently, lived in Amsterdam...

Appreciate 1