06-04-2019, 10:45 AM   #7
Matthewricha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar1487 View Post
Matrix hunter is correct. Ive been doing extensive research into this. I absolutely cannot stand the 1/2 dead space that is apparent in the steering of the m240i. according to realoem.com....the m235i/240i is straight electric steering, not electric power steering. The m2 is electric power assist steering. The f22 is listed as AT-steering box ELE and the F8x is listed as Electric Power Steering Rack. It might be possible to recode the f22s to increase or decrease weight but i think the ultimate issue with the steering is with the dead space, I've installed a stress bar, it helped but still dead space, installed m2 control arms, helped but still dead space, installed turner motor sport monorail thrust arms, helped but still dead space. I do not notice their being a weight difference between the f22 and the f87 or f82, just a difference in how the f87/f82 has no dead space where the f22 it is completely apparent in. I believe that this is the "weight" difference feel everyone is describing.

for reference here is the link to the straight pipes review of the m240i. just watch the first 5 mins and they'll explain the steering.
Interesting. I too hanker for my old e92 steering feel (not the overly heavy weight though). So what is the difference mechanically between what you term as "Straight electric steering" and "Electric power steering"?

Looking at realoem the F22's have a different rack (32106889112) than the F87/F80's (32107852660). Both electrically assisted. I know the F22 rack is belt driven from the electric motor.
Appreciate 0