View Single Post
      08-22-2020, 05:11 PM   #6
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollo` View Post
Ok, I just received the M performance brake kit in a gigantic box that weighs like 90 pounds. Those front calipers look huge and the red is beautiful. I see now that the backing plate problem is only with the rear because only the rear is constructed as a full circle. I have been replacing my own brakes for years, including rotors so hopefully I can DIY it. Will call my local dealership but I bet they will want a lot to do the installation.

Thanks to Maynard and Dradernh for the posts and the pms. I'll post a write up and pics when I get them on.
The rotors are certainly heavy – it's a lot of iron. I weighed my components, and they came out as follows:

The rear rotors are the dimpled and slotted units that I ordered separately as they're not part of the kit. Since they're the same 345X24 size as the M Sport plain rotors you're going to use, I expect their weights to be roughly the same, too.

I haven't measured my M Sport calipers yet, but I suspect the kit's calipers will turn out to be the same size as the M Sport units. I'm guessing that the main (only?) difference between M Sport and kit calipers is the inside caliper halves in the front. They have to be different so as to position the caliper over the greater diameter rotor.

When you call the dealer, you might want to ask about the availability of replacement front rotors in the event that the kit is discontinued at some point. It occurred to me when I came across this on Bimmerworld's site: "These kits are in short supply and BMW may discontinue them at any time." The statement is on this page: https://www.bimmerworld.com/BMW-M-Pe...t-F22-F3X.html.
Appreciate 0