stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingTooFast View Post
stefan,

Not quite! We are forgetting about the M235i's LSD option which isn't available for the M135i, as far as I know. Not that I think the M235i will become special just because of that but it surely helps as far as the driving experience is concerned.

As for the E46's driving experience which is largely based on a high revving engine and very short gear ratios, you have to realize that without it the M3 E46 would be a completely different animal. Therefore, don't expect anything similar to that from a turbocharged/taller gear ratios drivetrain as they are essentially two different approaches.

The key factor for a special driving experience will be definitely the overall car weight.

In the event of that weight reduction could not be accomplished from a cost effective perspective for BMW while trying to keep, at the same time, all the (heavy) luxury goodies normally associated to a premium brand, then I see NO better alternative, for a revolutionary, hence special solution, than a triple-turbo diesel engine in the name of true EFFICIENT DYNAMICS.

The development cost of a triple-turbo diesel engine solution was already taken on - you now have the 3.0L M550d, X5 M50d and X6 M50d - so it's only a matter of downsizing, either they apply one more turbo to the existent 2.0L twin sequential turbo diesel engine or they simply limit the triple-turbo 3.0L diesel engine's max. torque to be sent to the M2 rear wheels, say to 550 - 600 Nm!
I was referring mainly to the weight and dimensions, and hopefully the M2 borrowing the turbo pre-charging and M dynamic differential. These are absolutely key things for a fun driving car. Ultimately I prefer an S54 but obviously those days are over. Now it's about how close we can get.