View Single Post
      07-14-2020, 03:39 PM   #33
Colodano
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 X5M

Since I split with my wife, I rent, but would like to own again.

The idea of homeowners taking pride and care in properties versus tenants is very valid, and part of why I would rather own.

Personally, I would prefer to be paying into something that I will "own" as opposed to paying the rent to someone else, or a company, that is making a profit on what I pay. Yes, you do have maintenance costs as things wear out, but that is just built into what you are paying someone else as well.

I do like to do handy tasks, yard work etc, and that is something that I want to spend my time doing, but if it isn't your thing, easy to buy a condo or apartment instead.

The idea of looking at owning a home vs the investment idea, is honestly a bit baffling to me. From how I see it, you are always going to need a place to live, so that monthly cost is going to either be a rent payment, or mortgage payment. If you rent, it is gone...forever... But if you buy, you are paying into something that you will either own outright at some point, aside from prop. taxes, or you can sell it and hopefully make money on it. Yes, the down payment might be able to make you some money if invested differently, but enough to cover all that rent that is going into someone else's pocket as well?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1615280.00