08-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #2
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by estoril228 View Post
Any advice is appreciated!
My second pirelli p7 cinturato blew out (side wall and all) after hitting a pothole. Fed up with the cost of the runflats (and being told my bmw not to drive on the run flats if the side wall is blown out) I changed all 4 tires to nonrunflat Michelin Pilot sport AS3s. I was excited to get these tires as they have excellent reviews. To my dismay there is a horrible howling noise that is loudest between 55-70 mph. I noticed this as soon as I got the tires on. The dealership evaluated my car after the AS3s were put on and replaced both front wheel bearings (seemingly out of other options). I’m told that after an exhaustive search there is nothing else wrong with the car including possibility of bent rims. The howling sound is still there and incredibly annoying. The dealer states I need to put on the factory OEM Pirelli P7s back on before the noise can be reassessed. This is about $1400 with no assurances of the noise being resolved. Any suggestions? I’ve got about 250 miles on the tires now and they’re just a few weeks old. The tire center said they noticed “feathering” but I’m not sure this is possible with that little mileage. Every single review regarding the AS3 states it is the most quiet tire around so I’m very skeptical that not having run flat oem tires can cause this much of an issue!
I just swapped out to the AS3+ three weeks ago after a second RFT blow out too. Your howling sound is not normal. I did two roundtrip drives to Seattle from Portland totaling 800 miles over the first two weeks they were installed without incident. I was traveling at speeds of up to 95mph.
Appreciate 0