View Single Post
      09-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #164
brad850csi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 16 F13 M6 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hish View Post
BMW went for front wheel drive architecture (UKL) for their entry level cars because it is simpler (and therefore cheaper) to build and offers better packaging (ie. more space inside and for luggage). They have also pointed out market research stating that 90% of their customers for entry level cars had not been aware (or care for that matter) if their cars are front wheel drive or rear wheel drive. So, they have decided to go front wheel drive with transverse engines (and took some flak from fanboys (who wouldn't have bought X1s or Active Tourers in first place, so that didn't matter commercially).

Obviously, using M5 trick xdrive in X1M is impossible for both technical (incompatible front drive platform design) and commercial (cost of M5 tech designed for CLAR platform) reasons. Not sure why you have any doubts regarding that matter to be honest.
I absolutely agree that 90% of 1 series buyers had no idea if their car was fwd or rwd but how many M135i or M140i buyers do you think knew? I'd guess 95%.