View Single Post
      05-04-2021, 02:00 PM   #2
sillieidiot
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330ci

Uh...I forgot I made a build thread here LOL

I have been updating the build thread in another forum under the same title. Not like I have much progress, but I'm reposting it over lol

Here we go...

Well I can't sleep so I might as well update the thread on some things I did recently.

9/4/19

Well 8 months later and the time has come to install the dreaded dash cam lol SamBam dropped off her car for the week cause she's going on vacation.

Procrastination kicked in. So I re-coded the car using Bimmercode because that was the easiest. The dealer wiped away the previous coding I did when they did the warranty oil change. And since I couldn't remember wtf I coded last time, I just went through all the settings again like it's my first time and coded stuff that I want lol I did add something that I didn't get to do originally was to get the mirrors to auto-fold on lock with comfort access. Turns out you can't really on this car. The setting is there, but it doesn't work when I code it. The closest you can get is to put the delay on convenience closing to 0 ms. So you basically have to hold your finger like 0.1 seconds longer to get it to close. With the keyfob, it's instant though.

That's all I had time to do that day.

9/5/19

After laying out everything I needed for the dash cam install, I realized that I'm missing some essential items, so Amazon to the rescue. Will start tomorrow.

I went ahead and did the other item which was to get rid of the airbag warning labels from the visors. It took some time. At one point I was like, FML regretting this decision right now :rofl: But after working at it for awhile I finally got them both off. There's still that rectangle of where the sticker used to be though. But it's not that noticeable.

Before:

During:

After:

The picture makes it way more noticeable than it actually is on the passenger side.

9/6/19

Ugh, I had to start the install. Figuring where to put the front camera was hard. There are sensors at the end of the rearview mirror so I had to figure out how to place it without blocking it. This is where I ended up putting it.

Then the long tedious process of running the wires from the front to back. I split up the video and power cables, so that meant that I would have to run it up & down the car TWICE . More work, but it's a lot easier to hide wires this way especially when I get to the rear window. I'm using the Power Magic Pro for the parking mode and will probably just leave everything in the trunk.

Mock up of the wiring route to make sure I have enough wire. There was enough for the video, but not the power side. But the Power Magic Pro wiring makes up the rest of the distance.

This is as far as I got. I stopped short of wiring it up to the battery. I was soldering the terminals at the ends of the wires and checked the wiring for the final time. I was like where tf is the fuse for the battery lead? Lol I forgot that I cut off the cigarette adapter :facepalm. So I opened it back up to see the size of the fuse. It's 2A. So now I gotta buy an inline fuse holder for that. For the accessory wire, I'm just going to use the fuse tap add-a-circuit wire which I have. Pretty much just decided here is good to stop to continue tomorrow.

9/7/19

So I went to Fry's and got the fuses I needed and wired everything up. Put everything back and I'm done. I spent the rest of the day messing with the Blackvue's settings and driving around to make sure everything work. Turned off all the LEDs to keep it looking stealth at night. I left the voice prompts on so it could scare the shit out of SamBam

Picture of them installed. It's actually pretty hard to see after I took off the plastic wrap and the casing became matte.

Front:

Rear:

9/8/19

I have one mod left to do, but screw that. I'm too lazy to take the entire center console apart right now. So today, I'm washing her car because it's dirty af. I'm washing my Tesla too.

I feel like this car is going to have a lot of freshly washed pictures lol

Oh yeah, she did this sometime last week. Damn that's bad . Car isn't even lowered

She blamed it on Google maps taking her a weird way. I don't blame her because my experience with Google Maps in other states do the same shit. I use Here WeGo now because it doesn't make me go in stupid routes. But it's missing some stuff I would like. But full offline support is useful.

I didn't tell her , but we'll cover it up with a lip later
Appreciate 1
harry.h65.50