View Single Post
      09-13-2016, 06:22 PM   #22
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Walnut Blasting - DI ENGINE

If you have ever walnut blasted a BMW DI engine only to do it again 35k later - your perspective changes. I was changing my N54 engines oil every 7.5k with M1 0W-40 and thought I was doing good enough. I soon realized that the N54 was poorly designed from an intake oil control resulting in build up on the I-valves.

Yes the N55 is better but still suffers from valve deposits. Thus it is important to use clean oil. When I changed my Valve Cover gasket on the N54, the internals looked super clean but the M1 0W-40 has a lot of VI improvers, a higher NOACK than 10 and even with an OCC & RB PCV valve, she would gunk up the intake valves very bad every 35k miles. (post 50k)

SO, I have learned and realized that the oil in a BMW DI engine must be changed often with oil that runs super clean. AKA SHELL oil from gas with an NOACK of 6.8 and runs super clean. Mike Miller has stated that BMW DI engines need to be run hard to help burn off some of the tar type gunk, OCI at 5k & with an oil that runs super clean (SHELL / PENNZOIL) 5W-40 runs cleaner that the Pennzoil 0W-40. REDLINE 5W-30 is another good one but lacks LL-01.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50