View Single Post
      09-06-2016, 11:56 AM   #17
jpnh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beartato View Post
WILL result, huh? The only certainty here is the money you'll spend on the additional maintenance.

They've been using the N55 in various products since 2009, I think by now we'd see the end result of BMW scheduled maintenance as opposed to "old school" maintenance show itself in some fashion or another.

I guess this is where we differ: I trust BMW derivatives its maintenance intervals from laboratory testings on various components, the actual reliability history of cross-platform components and its own estimation based on the previous two points. I suppose you, and most of the others here who subscribe to the "old school" maintenance interval logic, perhaps in your inherent lack of trust with BMWAG, think maybe they took the above one step further and their bean counters removed items from that list? Or do you think BMW kind just put components and time intervals in a jar and matched up what number came out with what component?

I can understand both sides, but BMW isn't stupid. If they were ignoring vital/required maintenance it'd take less than a generation of cars to ruin their reputation. Considering how long BMW has been doing the "free maintenance", in addition to the run of the N55 so far, and factor in the vast majority of N55-driven cars aren't owned by forum dwellers who obsess over maintenance intervals, it's not illogical to conclude your factory maintenance intervals are fine. Additional maintenance, if so desired for your peace of mind, only hurts your checkbook so more power to you.
BMW like most companies make a calculated recommendation

Its quite telling that when the owners were responsible for maint that they recommended a much more rigorous regimen......now that BMW is on the hook for main on THEIR dime that regimen is much less frequent

As others have stated previously most of these cars will go 100k without too many issues but the question remains what condition will the minimally maintained vehicle be in at 100k VS the traditionally maintained vehicle

this is not a brand specific issue as most all vehicles are using similar fluids, use similar materials.

I've driven multiple vehicles to 400k miles and I can tell you from my own experience that regular preventative maint prolongs component longevity.
Appreciate 0