09-06-2016, 11:45 AM   #16
Beartato
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
Specific to the N55?

How could there be any such info given that the motor hasnt been around all that long

But given the fact that it IS still an internal combustion engine with fundamentally the same systems as most every IC engine AND that there is a long history of showing that regular PREVENTATIVE maint helps reduce wear/tear and corrosion within various systems (esp aluminum components) its safe to say that within reason following the recommended old school specs WILL result in a vehicle that is in much better condition after 100k miles than one that has followed the "New School" BMW recs

I will most certainly be following the time proven old school maint intervals since I plan on keeping the vehicle.......you get what you give
WILL result, huh? The only certainty here is the money you'll spend on the additional maintenance.

They've been using the N55 in various products since 2009, I think by now we'd see the end result of BMW scheduled maintenance as opposed to "old school" maintenance show itself in some fashion or another.

I guess this is where we differ: I trust BMW derivatives its maintenance intervals from laboratory testings on various components, the actual reliability history of cross-platform components and its own estimation based on the previous two points. I suppose you, and most of the others here who subscribe to the "old school" maintenance interval logic, perhaps in your inherent lack of trust with BMWAG, think maybe they took the above one step further and their bean counters removed items from that list? Or do you think BMW kind just put components and time intervals in a jar and matched up what number came out with what component?

I can understand both sides, but BMW isn't stupid. If they were ignoring vital/required maintenance it'd take less than a generation of cars to ruin their reputation. Considering how long BMW has been doing the "free maintenance", in addition to the run of the N55 so far, and factor in the vast majority of N55-driven cars aren't owned by forum dwellers who obsess over maintenance intervals, it's not illogical to conclude your factory maintenance intervals are fine. Additional maintenance, if so desired for your peace of mind, only hurts your checkbook so more power to you.
Appreciate 0