View Single Post
      03-17-2021, 05:28 PM   #3
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GetShwifty View Post
So I took my 2016 m235i in to an independent shop (Beyer Motor Works in Chandler, AZ, recommended by local BMW CCA) for a new battery (warnings and no start/stop function) and an oil change yesterday and they of course came back with a bunch more work. I've had the car for a year and a half with only 33,677 miles on it now.

They diagnosed a leaking engine oil pan gasket, cracked differential bushing (rear), and new rotors and pads all around as apparently the rotors weren't turned when the pads were replaced before I got the car.

First question is are these reasonable prices and should I take it to another shop to get a second quote.

I've looked up getting an LSD installed and saw BMW listed it as a 2.5 hour job so why does it take 7.2 hours to just replace a differential bushing?

The second question is if I do get all these done, particularly the diff bushing, is there anything I should consider getting done at the same time while they have already pulled some of the car apart?

Though not recently, I do intend to do AutoX and maybe a few track days and was planning on getting 18x8.5 wheels with 235/40 MPS4S tires once I figure out offset/fitment. For the diff, I think I could get a delrin bushing put in as I have read it really improves shift and drivetrain feel. LSD is in consideration, but is a bit expensive. Not sure if/how much I would want to put into suspension bits. As I am not too familiar with what gets taken out for different jobs, let me know what I should think about.
I paid for 6 hours of labor to install a new differential and a set of aluminum rear subframe bushings. I'm pretty sure that was the number of hours in the flat rate book (i.e., the same book that should be in use by any shop not working on a time & materials basis). I believe the diff comes out and goes back in during a bushing replacement.

If you're going to install an LSD, the time to do it is when your subframe bushings are being replaced. I think of them as jobs to be done at the same time and had subframe bushings put in my car when I was having an LSD installed. If you're not going to install an LSD, make darn sure you really need new subframe bushings.

The prices for brake jobs bear little relation to the cost of providing them. That's just how it works. If you're at all handy, it's worth learning to do your own. A knowledgeable friend and/or youtube videos can help.

Since the shop indicated that you need new rotors and pads, did the estimate happen to show the remaining thickness of each of the rotors and pads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p912guy View Post
I think if ANY automotive service facility, highly rated or not, told me I needed nearly $5K worth of work completed on my car, I'd get a second or third opinion. I'd also not mention any of the recommendations from the first shop to any of the other shops. This would be especially true if I hadn't noticed some of these issues myself before taking it into the shop. Let us know what you find out and decide to do.
^^^ I think this is excellent advice.
Appreciate 0