View Single Post
      08-23-2018, 01:17 PM   #1
khj24
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Brake rotor replacement opinions

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of input for some replacement rotors. I can get some powerstop drilled slotted for pretty cheap on all 4 corners or go with some OEM replacements for probably just the front 2(I need to measure the other 3). I of course think slotted and drilled looks better, but after reading they seem to be prone to making more noise (and obviously cracks, but I don't do any hard driving really) Does anyone have any experience going from blanks to drilled/slotted on this platform or period? If I go blanks I would stay OEM with 2 piece rotors, if not I would go full cast.

Little Backstory below;

I have had an issue with my drivers front wheel clicking and a persistent squeal at low speed that worsens when cold and/or wet, when I purchased the car CPO they put brand new OEM pads on and I didn't have an issue for about 4 months then the squeal started. I have since replaced the OEM pads due to excessive brake dust with some powerstop ceramics that I really like, however after bedding the noise still persists. When I would re-bed the noises would come back after a day or two. I noticed that the pad wasn't making full contact and I think I had a glazing/pad transfer issue, I learned the hard way that you have to be a bit hard on the pedal to avoid that. I took the rotor off which was an absolute pain in the ass because the rotor screw was stripped and the metal was not as soft as I expected when drilling it out. I got that rotor turned and to my surprise it was at like 28.7mm and after cutting just a tiny bit it is close to min thickness (28.4mm iirc) so I am looking to replace. I do notice today that the pad is making even contact across the rotor and I have not heard any noises *YET*. Since my car has less than 25k miles and that rotor screw was stripped I assume it had already cut, because if not that seems to be an obscene amount of wear on the rotor. Anybody else have the same kind of issues?

Sorry about the long winded post lol
Appreciate 0