View Single Post
      02-26-2020, 06:51 PM   #8
Isoleucine
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

If anything I would strongly caution about adding too much detail to the laser engraving. I've done a lot of laser engraving on various materials (wood, plastics, metals, and leather), and most of the mistakes I've made are related to adding too much detail. The issue with fine details next to one another is that they start to affect the appearance of the lines next to them. Two lines right next to each other will each appear thicker than one line separated from the rest of them.

It also runs the risk of blending lines together, which is further increased when you're engraving a "non-flat" surface like leather. The little bumps and ridges in the material mean that lines which would look separate and distinct on a flat surface start to run together. The lines become/appear wider if burned onto a contoured, textured, or sloped surface because the same vertical beam covers more physical material. As the material bunches or is stretched it then distorts the lines and causes details to run together. Stretching the material inside the engraver the same way it will be stretched when installed will help with this a lot though, and the effect will be more prominent if you engrave the leather that covers a curved surface.

If you are going to do detail, however, I would recommend doing it in multiple passes at different power levels. Outlines and main shapes can/should be done at a higher power, while the fine details, shading, and perspective should be done in a second pass with a lower power level. Some laser engraver software allows different line thicknesses to correspond to different power settings, but if not just run it in two separate jobs and change your power settings in between. Just make sure you don't disturb or move the work piece at all if you do it in two separate jobs like that.
Appreciate 0