02-17-2019, 10:17 AM   #45
MiamiM235iEstorilBlue
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctemkin View Post
Dear Miami,

Perhaps my experience would be helpful to you. After getting a 2018 240i, I bought the Bavsound stage 1 speakers, the Bavsound version 2 subs, and the Bimmertech amp that Bavsound sold with the speakers. This took place in stages, because not everything was available initially. Each time one of the HK components was replaced with a Bavsound component, there was a noticeable improvement in the sound, and when the final component, the subs, were installed, I found the overall sound to be excellent.

What is relevant to your question is that the amp had a pre-installed DSP program that worked so well that, even though I had acquired a microphone and planned to do some tweaking, I decided I was better off leaving it alone. According to someone at Bavsound I spoke to, the DSP program was tuned for the 2 Series using the Bavsound stage 1 speakers and ghost v. 2 subs.

I would recommend that you call Bavsound and ask whether this program, or perhaps another Bavsound program, would be right for your car and the Bavsound speakers you bought.
Really appreciate your answer!
I checked, and it looks like Bavsound is working on their own amp and no longer sells the Bimmertech. I guess I'll have to wait on that.

Regarding speakers, I ended up finding a used set of Stage 1 and Ghost Subs from an F30 sedan (clearly 2 extra speakers for rear doors which I dont need). I managed to install but was NOT a perfect fit, as I for some reason thought they would be. Subs were loose and the front mid magnet was too large. I made it work though with some creativity and it actually sounds pretty friggin amazing, honestly. So, next step is an amp to power these properly.

HUGE TIP for any attempting DIY install: disconnect your batter before you do anything and only reconnect when EVERYTHING, including your seats, are all back in place. Otherwise you dash will light up like an x-mas tree like mine did, chock full of warning lights.
Appreciate 0