View Single Post
      02-07-2022, 09:50 AM   #20
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by POMFKIMOCHI View Post
You do realize bmw branded oil is made by Shell / pennzoil, right? Seeing as how OP does his own maintenance and that his car is probably out of warranty by now anyway, why even adhere to bmw specs? OP also tracks his car, so I'd expect he'd want the best performance out of the liquids he's putting in, I just suggested one of the top performers across many different tests on some of the most popular brands. While it doesn't carry the Longlife certification I believe this is due to BMW's own instruction as to not cannibalize their partnered oil products, and it has the API SP cert. Especially with the added fact that bmw only uses pennzoil in their motorsport vehicles, and being the only oil made from natural gas, ultra plat (or euro) is the only way I'd go.
Yes, I do realise BMW does farm out their oil manufacture as they don't own an oil refinery , They have used Shell and Castrol (BP) amongst others over the years as their suppliers.

If you don't use an oil that meets the LL-01FE, LL-14FE+ or LL17-FE+ standard, it's properties have never been matched to the engine needs by BMW, so you are on your own. In warranty this would be a problem with a lubrication related failure, outside of warranty is a user beware issue.

BMW has never certified an Xw40 oil for the B58, you will get lower oil flow through the bearings with a thicker oil and more operation of the bypass flow valve with cold oil due to a higher pumping pressure.

There is more to the oil than the Longlife properties, I'm sure there are plenty of oils that will work fine, but the engineers who developed the engine specified specific properties that you don't know that the oil will meet unless if is certified to.
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50