View Single Post
      08-09-2020, 02:48 PM   #10
Rockfresh15
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92

Yes, very much agreed that a test drive is needed, and I'll be looking to schedule one asap, though unfortunately it won't be true apples to apples without the MSPPK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliswyatt View Post
If you really want the 440i, you will need to be patient and/or lucky to find a used one equipped the way you want. There are only a few new ones out there with the Track Handling package. Good luck!
It doesn't look like the one they're raving about on Straight Pipes has the track handling package, so if steering/handling can impress them, I'm hopeful it can impress me, someone who drove a 430 a bit back and a 230 a couple weeks ago, and disliked the floaty steering, (but realize I must accept it, and hoping some are better than others) -- hopefully something I can sort out with my test drives.

Quote:
I honestly wouldn't get too hung up on the HK sound system. I started with the non-HK base system and did the BAVSound upgrade. Swapping the 5 speakers and two woofers transformed the sound system. It took all of a few hours and helped me familiarize myself with the car. You can get substantially more "audiophile-esque" with your solution, but it takes a little more time to dial things in. The BAVSound approach was plug-n-play and I didn't have to mess with the amp to get good sound.
Right, and this is the kinda thing that sounds like a major headache for me. I KNOW I wouldn't change a thing about the HK setup in my e92, which is rare for me to say about any sound system, so fiddling around with different expensive speakers that may or may not give me what I want sounds like a hassle I'd like to skip. Sorry ya'll, but the music experience is a significant part of what I love about driving, so this weighs heavy on me. Honestly, it was finding out about the 240's lackluster audio and the high praise of the 440 MSPPK handling and sound that sent me down this spiral.

Quote:
I just drove my car to work and actually did notice the lack of heft / feedback 1" at center.

It's not lifeless like an 80's GM product, it just feels light and reacts slowly compared to the rest of the steering. If I steer 1" back and forth it still rocks side to side, it just feels very light, especially in sport mode when the steering hefts up significantly past that 1" mark.
Yup, just read a whole thread about this here. Enough people complaining about it that, coupled with me knowing I won't like any electric steering, I'm sure I'll be dying to modify it, and have limited options to do so with xDrive -- which is a must for me with winters in NJ -- also why M2/M4 is out of the question, aside from harsher rides, expense, and, IMHO, boring interiors.

Quote:
Also, let's stop worrying about the HK. It was shit because its equalizer profile is crap. I hated it... till I Bimmer coded a different equalizer profile. Night and day difference! Bass is richer and deeper; less flat sound. Throttlesteer14 you should try that with BAVSound for an even more awesome experience.
Read this too, but still not totally convinced it'll meet expectations, though I'm sure it's an appreciable improvement.

So for me, outside of differences that'll (for the most part) be resolved with a test drive. Fixing the audio and (potentially) sharpening the steering feel on an xDrive M240 seem like more headache-y variables which I won't even know if they solve my issues until all the work is done and paid for.

Whereas, if I find the 440 driving acceptable, I KNOW the MSPPK takes care of most of my concerns.
Appreciate 0