01-18-2007, 08:16 AM   #3
shtfrginger
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK
I was happily driving down the road yesterday when I heard a loud noise. I knew straight away something had hit my car. I looked around I could see few cracks in my windscreen. (Top right corner looking from outside)

My insurance company is saying they only use RAC which owns Auto windscreens and they only give 3 year guarantee on workmanship, WTF! It should be the cars expected lifetime. I really want to take it to the BMW Dealer and let them take care of it but insurance company saying I cannot do that. Does any one recomend this RAC company. Onther thing is I don't think they use BMW original windscreen they make there own.

What Should I do??
I had a similar problem with a cracked windscreen when driving my son's Porsche whilst he was out of the country. The insurance company also insisted on me using RAC Windscreens and for the same reason as you I protested due to suspect quality and possible mismatch. The insurance company (Admiral) did give in a bit and offered to pay up to 25% towards my dealing direct with Porsche but the windsceen was gouing to cost me £500+. Thefeore I reluctantly decided to go with the RAC option but upon speaking with the manager of the shop he told me that each windscreen is provided my the manufacturer anyway even to the point where the replacement is matched to the Car's chassis number thus ensuring best fit and quality. I must admit when the screen arrived it was protected with packaging clearly marked as Porsche and their workmanship in fitting it was excellent so I did'nt worry after that. I assume that although RAC are stating 3 years warranty this could be their warranty for fitting the screen and not that of the actual windscreen. I assume its the same for BMW. However check with BMW UK (0800 325600) if they too have a similar contract with RAC Windscreens. Good luck mate
Appreciate 0