View Single Post
      07-24-2020, 10:17 AM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

This is an excellent fix. Thank you for providing all the detail.

I would caution anyone doing an oil change on these cars to be using a torque wrench and or really snugging down the drain plug. A very large majority of those that have stripped the plugs were using torque wrenches. The plug only needs about 18 ft/lb. If you try and use torque wrench that can go down to 15 ft/lb, you'll run the risk of pushing past the limits of the pan threads. If you must use a torque wrench, use one that does in/lbs.

Over the past 30 years of doing oil changes on BMWs, Subarus, Hondas, Nissans, Infinitis, Chevys, Toyotas and Mazdas, I have never used a torque wrench and I have never had a drain bolt loosen or leak. Simply thread it on by hand until it stops on the pan face and then just a 1/8th turn or so with a standard length (~10") socket wrench; adhering to the German torque spec "Gudntight". If you use a more standard length torque wrench (15" to 18") that gives a ton more leverage, you're likely to go well past the torque limit even when the bar indicates you've achieved the limit.