05-23-2019, 07:00 AM   #5
Unicorn123
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertw View Post
This post and many others seem to suggest that run flat tires have something to do with bent wheels. I have trouble imagining how RFTs could increase the chances of bending a wheel.

The stiffer sidewall of a RFT will spread the impact over a longer section of rim, and I suppose that might increase the chances of bending a longer section of the wheel a small amount instead of visibly denting a short section of the rim. So the nature of the damage might be different and less visible. But more frequent? If so, what am I missing?
Albert, As noted, I am not a "real engineer" but I do not think there is anything to miss and my intent was not to imply any such relationship. Merely stating the limited objective evidence regarding bent and misshapen wheels. As I noted in my response to Poochie, there does not appear to be any good data suggesting a causal relationship here, however if someone can establish a cause and effect relationship between RTF's and cast aluminum wheels bending, we would have evidence for a CAS against BMW NA for a poorly engineered setup that is potentially life threatening in their quest to achieve higher profits. I guess one alternate theory is that if the wheels are bent, the car is speed limited by vibration...

As a fun time wasting exercise, I may take the rims once my new wheels are on the car and put them on a rock with a dial indicator or put them in a spindle with the same measuring tools and take a look at the wheel distortion. I have a feeling they will all rock on a surface plate...After seeing the wiggly worm in the balancer, I have to believe the variance will be staggering (again, no pun intended).

A secondary query here is has anyone had reasonable success straightening these wheels? I'd hate to have to by another set of rims for the snow tires...

Retired (a few of them...), 08 E60 550i 6M, 01 Audi S4, 70 Fiat 124, 88 E28 M5, 72 Datsun 510 2Dr, 73 TR6
Appreciate 0