01-19-2021, 09:12 PM   #20
leftoverture
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky58 View Post
It depends on your tolerance for the appearance of your car and whether you want to maintain the top long term. Spraying the clean top with protectant keeps it water repellent and literally only takes a few minutes. I tape the edges all around with masking tape and newspaper to avoid overspray. It takes a few more minutes but it avoids having to try to clean the stuff off the paint. RaggTopp protectant works great. Make sure you get the fabric protectant and not the vinyl. Once or twice a year for me is worth it.
X2. I use the Raggtop protectant on a clean top a couple times a year. It literally takes about 15 minutes to do a couple coats. The main thing with automated washes is, per the BMW owner manual, to avoid the waxes. Apparently, the liquid hot wax is not good for the fabric top. We drive our vert year round and I run it through our neighborhood automated wash as needed. I use their basic wash that doesn't include any wax. The main thing is to enjoy your car and some people are really into the detailing and others just want to drive. To each their own but for me, I'm more into the driving than the detailing.
Appreciate 0