View Single Post
      03-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #8
mobilehavoc
Rep
Drives: '18 BMW M240xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by msej449 View Post
I've never taken my M235i convertible through an automated carwash because I think that at a minimum, it degrades the waterproofing. So I'd end-up spending more time re-proofing the fabric and be back at square one. I re-proof a couple of times a year at the end of winter and end of summer, plus any occasions where it's left out and gets any unusually heavy 'birdstrike' or sap covering (this usually happens a couple of times in the summer and I have to do a heavy clean of the fabric afterwards).

I use the BMW proofing liquid, but I'm sure other proof products can be found which are as good or better. Note that the soft-top cleaner fluid is different from the soft-top proofing fluid.

Note the Owners Manual advice not to leave a wet roof stored-away in the storage compartment. And to have the roof up and fabric tensioned, if you're leaving the car for any length of time. Even if it's garaged.

It's definitely worth vacuuming the fabric regularly - you'd be surprised how much stuff this picks up. I've found vacuuming with a brush attachment along the bias of the fabric works best (but avoid using a brush internally if you have high gloss black trim: the bristles are usually too stiff and leave micro-scratches). I also occasionally half-fold the roof to vacuum various bits that are otherwise hidden on the roof and the roof storage compartment BUT if you do this, be aware that the hydraulics de-pressurise after a minute or so and the mechanism moves: you DO NOT want your hands to be anywhere in the way!).

And note the advice on other threads to occasionally lubricate the rubber window seals on the roof using 'gummi-pflege', especially in the winter. THis keeps it elastic and stops annoying squeaks from being too dry. I use this from Amazon and it seems to do the job: https://www.amazon.com/Sonax-0340000...r=8-2-fkmrnull
Holy crap. This post scares me. I wasn't planning on doing any of this. I can look into sticking with hand washes but I had no idea you have to reproof or treat the roof on a regular basis. That is insane to me - how many people actually even do this?
Appreciate 0