View Single Post
      05-15-2014, 08:40 AM   #39
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradleyland View Post
An optimal launch spins the tires just a tiny bit. Too much power and the wheels will spin, losing traction. Too little power and you underutilize the available traction. That was the obvious part.

The thing to keep in mind is all road surfaces are not identical. That I'm aware of, the launch control programs in these cars are not all that sophisticated. They use a base set of parameters for each launch, which involves an implicit assumption about available grip. Depending on the road surface, those assumptions may be incorrect.

In this way, a skilled driver is able to deliver better results under some conditions. Where launch control excels is in consistency. Humans don't make very good stopwatches or power regulators. We rely on our senses for real time feedback, and our reflexes are woefully slow compared to a computer's. This means that while a human may be able to eek out a better 0-60 time, the computer will deliver more consistent 0-60 times. For your average Joe, launch control is the way to go.
And exactly what is that supposed to mean?

- Joe

(Not really Joe)
Appreciate 0