View Single Post
      05-06-2020, 02:09 PM   #21
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edslittleworld View Post
Hockey Pucks and wooden blocks are NOT the proper tool for jacking. Best to use either a purpose-built urethane pinch weld lifting pad (~$8 on Amazon) or a BMW style lifting pad (~$20) with the properly sized mating block to insure equal load distribution.
Bear in mind this thread is about lifting the car using the central jack point which pinch weld or the BMW inserts won’t fit and will actually be dangerous for.

A hockey puck is as good as the rubber pad supplied with many jacks, but gives more clearance around the metal of the jack cup, totally safe as long as the jack has a cup and you are jacking on a flat surface (such as the centre front jacking point on most BMWs or centre rear point near the differential. I use a custom aluminium insert for the standard side jacking points on the BMW. The density of the rubber in a hockey puck is higher than the jack pads on my 4-pad hydraulic lift. I agree wooden blocks are not nearly as safe with a floor jack, as they can slide on the jacking point when the floor jack rolls on the floor, whereas a hockey puck won’t.

Last edited by aerobod; 05-06-2020 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0