View Single Post
      12-09-2019, 11:44 AM   #14
grocerylist
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Garage List
2016 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Sorry to bring this post back from the dead.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever had the floor jack slip at the front jack point? I've got the normal esco jack stands (not the shortys) so you've got to jack up the car pretty high to be able to fit the esco jack stands even at their minimum height of 13".

I initially got the car up on the stands at the front ok, though it was a little odd having to jack it up so high. When it came time to lower the car, in raising the car my floor jack slipped forward on the undertray engine cover and put a nice 2-3" hole in the cover. The car didn't come to the floor as I hadn't yet removed the jack stands and landed on them but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

This has never happened to me with previous vehicles and I'm not sure if it slipped because of the plastic undertray engine cover, because the esco jack stands are too tall, because the subframe jacking point is narrow or a combination of factors. I'm not really sure what is in front of the jack point (towards the front of the car) or if I did more damage other than the hole in the undertray engine cover. The undertray cover is about $200 which I'm not excited about. It's odd to me that the jack point is hidden under cover.

I don't want this to happen again. I don't want to have to buy the shorter esco stands as they're also about $200+ for 4. I wish I had known about them before ordering the normal ones.
Appreciate 0