View Single Post
      10-15-2018, 10:46 AM   #16
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
They aren’t stretched from a performance perspective, only from a look perspective (again, mainly due to the profile around the rim protector to extend the rubber in that area beyond the rim lip), depends on whether you place looks above performance. Modern low profile tyres don’t have the balloon look of older high profile tyres. With the rim on the narrow end of the tyre manufacturer spec (7.5” for a 225/40-18) the contact patch will be narrower than on a wider rim, giving the tyre the performance of a narrower tyre on the same rim width. Michelin have engineered the tyre to fit on a 7.5” to 9.0” wide wheel, 8.0 or 8.5” wheels are going to give a more optimum contact patch than 7.5” or 9.0” wheels.
Yes, from a look perspective they are stretched and it looks odd to me. I'll be going up and squaring to 235 or 245 on my next set. I personally don't like that stretched look and can only imagine how it would look on an 8.5". The contact patch area of the 225 is much more narrow than the wheel itself regardless of the wheel protection.
Appreciate 0