12-09-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
supraBimmerPlz
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Honda Civic Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn123 View Post
A few suggestions Supra...

1. Go to ECS Tuning or any reputable BMW parts source to get a general idea on parts availability and pricing. I always do this before a purchase of a "performance car" as I have owned some unique cars and sometimes, parts are ridiculously expensive for limited edition performance cars. These cars do not necessarily fall into that category, but the brake rotors are not as cheap as a Jeep either.

2. Some "Indy" mechanics will only use OEM (i.e. dealer) sourced parts to avoid any complaints from customers for using "inferior" parts, so the cost of these "Indies" will be closer to the dealer. If you have the skills to change the oil and do the brakes (which is really quite simple), and you have a modest amount of mechanical aptitude (I have very little but am persistent and stubborn) you can save yourself a bunch of cash. Charge pipes are a doable DIY as well and there are a bunch of on-line tutorials for brakes and charge pipes. If you are willing to get your hands dirty, you will be better off.

3. Regarding tires, go to one of the internet tire houses (i.e. Tire Rack or equivalent) to price out tires. Most tire places today will match internet pricing so forewarned is forearmed. I know when I have had a few "emergency" tire replacements due to potholes not liking low profile tires (or vice versa), I always have internet pricing in hand when I go to the local tire place. Saves a lot of cash.

Generally speaking, if you can manage to handle the bulk of your routine maintenance by yourself (i.e. filters, fluids and brakes), the cost of a 2-Series is not much more than a Camry that is dealer maintained.

Good luck with your decision. One thing I would caution you on; if you cannot afford to maintain the car at the level required, don't buy it. Although the 2-Series is the most reliable BMW made currently, it is not bulletproof and BMW's (and most cars) in general, do not respond well to poor maintenance practices. PM is definitely the way to go with a BMW if you want it to last a long time. Not a lot of value in having a broken BMW in your driveway...
Hey, thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I checked FCP Euro and EVS tuning extensively for all the maintenance and repair items. Ideally, I'd like to do it myself. I'm not very experienced in terms of auto mechanics, but I can pick it up decently quick. I try to do small things here and there; I can definitely do the oil and filter, spark plugs, and most of the fluids just based on videos. I don't have tools to bleed fluids (i.e. brakes), or heavy duty tools to remove wheels in a decently timely manner. Part of it is also just the intimidation of working on a German car, which I've heard are supposedly complex on the inside, especially coming from Japanese tuners.

It's not that I can't afford it; I've run the numbers multiple times, concluding it's within my budget. I'm just not sure I'd want to spend thousands a year on a car. I take good care of my cars, so I'd be doing quite a bit of PM.

Having a hard time finding specific quotes for things like brake pads+rotors labor costs and what not online, as well.
Appreciate 0