View Single Post
      06-03-2022, 06:20 PM   #10
DBinOC
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95 M3; M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos270 View Post
Out of curiosity, what made the intercooler install difficult? I did my charge pipe earlier this year and had a hard time getting it to seat properly against the throttle body housing (a step that no one in any tutorial seemed to have difficulty with). When I was looking at the intercooler, I thought it looked very straightforward to remove and replace, if/when the time comes.
Most aftermarket intercoolers are about 1" deeper than stock. Add the additional height and things get kind of tight. There is also a plastic/rubber extension from the bottom of the bumper that you have to pull out of the way. In some videos, they trimmed it or cut it.

On the BMS and some other similar units, there are "wings" on the sides of the intercooler that have to go into the correct plastic groove on either side, otherwise the mounting screw won't line up correctly. In fact, these guys show you what happens when you miss (fast forward to the 13:25 mark):

So, between pulling the rubber out of the way, trying to line up the wings, and getting the connection points for the turbo pipe and charge pipe lined up, my 2 hands weren't enough. Once I added 2 more hands (and other set of eyes to be sure each side lined up correctly), it was 15 minutes and it was in.

Obviously, a lot of people on this forum have replaced theirs already, so maybe it was just me....wouldn't be the first time.

DBinOC
Appreciate 1
Cos270608.50