View Single Post
      12-16-2018, 01:37 PM   #761
gavin730
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Relatively new owner here with HK factory option. After reading this thread, I knew I wanted to start with these mods to improve the overall quality of the system while keeping a budget, so I wanted to share my feedback. I did these one by one, giving time in between each so I could evaluate the difference each option provided. In order, I did the following:

1) Disconnect center channel. Noticed instant difference in clarity, and considering the time (~15 minutes) and price (free), it's a no-brainer.

2) ASD bypass harness. Note: The exhaust note hadn't interfered with the stereo enough to give me a blaring headache or drive me up the wall yet. But once I installed the ASD harness I realized what a massive difference it made. I did take the time to install some Dynamat in the trunk while I had the lining out -- didn't go wall-to-wall like some others have, but covered most visible/easily accessible spots as best I could. Anyway, the new PNP harness makes install a breeze. Cabin seems super quiet now, but I can still hear the exhaust note in Sport mode when I want it. Absolutely worth the time (~1.5 hrs) and money ($55) if you want a more peaceful cabin under most conditions.
Sidenote: I experienced an adjustment (lowering) in stereo volume as some others have noted after installing the ASD harness. Whereas 60% volume used to be "rock out" volume for me, it's now around 75% to achieve the same volume. Not a deal breaker, though. Just an observation.

3) Replaced rear speakers with JL Audio C2-400x. Used a washer to secure the 3rd mounting screws. Used ebay pigtail harness, and as advertised, polarity was reversed on driver's side rear speaker. Results were immediate, and even better after the speakers had a couple of days to further break in. Significant mid-bass upgrade, and a fairly decent improvement in treble as well. The higher I crank the volume, the more obvious it is that the upgrade was worth $80.

4) Added BMW weatherstripping on the doors. My car was missing it on both sides. I found it true that the 2nd one takes half the time to install once you do the first side and know the strategy. I admit that I didn't notice much of an immediate difference in city driving. But on highway driving, I'm pretty sure I can tell a difference, although not a big one, but it does seem to be blocking a bit of wind noise to some degree. Even if the result is only 10% difference, that's still worth $30 to me.

Overall, I'm very happy with these upgrades. Collectively, the difference is night and day. My next step will be the Eton B100W in the front, although I might wait a while and just enjoy my current upgraded setup. Plus, the Etons will be more labor-intensive than any of the other upgrades by far. I'm sure I'll get an itch before too long, though.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00