04-29-2016, 09:37 AM   #59
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny_Shadow View Post
Many thanks for this info guys. I figured the harness was probably the better solution.

One quick question about the harness - is there a specific one for the F22 HK? or is it a one type fits all? I don't want to order the wrong thing.

I've tried to buy the harness on the technic website, but it doesn't appear to work.
Is there another way to order?
Some background on Technic: He is a pro car audio installer in the Miami area and was a very frequent contributor to both Bimmerpost and other BMW forums until last summer, when he ran into some issues regarding his status as a non-commercial forum member. He's kept a low profile ever since, and word is that he's no longer active (though his account is).

The only way to reliably order the ASD harness -- as well as another harness he makes to allow near-plug-and-play installation of an aftermarket amp (and retention of the stock harness in case you want to revert back to OEM) -- is to email him at the address listed on his website. He's responsive to emails.

By the way: He notes that installing the harness decreases bass response slightly on the subs on HK systems (not sure about Hi-Fi) -- enough to be noticeable, but not drastic. Apparently that's yet another benefit to installing the harness: the decrease in bass response is probably related to the use of the ASD module's power stage to augment the power that the subs receive. It's a good thing to get rid of that because basically that means BMW is bi-amping the HK subs with two power stages of unequal power output. That's not a good thing, folks -- and it makes me wonder if that technique is a big part of the source of the high noise floor, not to mention the subs' chronic propensity to simply not work on occasion.
Appreciate 0