View Single Post
      02-17-2019, 08:49 PM   #1049
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Looking for a solution to this problem, I went another route (and I'm not suggesting it's a better route ): at the recommendation of TC Kline, I chose a set of his coilovers, and up front he set the alignment at -1.9° camber and 1/32" toe-in. For the street, it's terrific - I haven't hit a pothole in many miles. The car is remarkably responsive to steering input, and this owner is very satisfied with the street-driving qualities of the car.

For the track, the car is still a bit of a pig, and TC recommends the H&R front bar as the next incremental improvement. It's supposed to add a further, minor increment of noise and harshness, but the car is already perfectly tolerable, so I intend to give the bar a try this season.

My background is oriented towards track driving, and though I drive the M240i very little on the street, I'm still interested in finding a sort-of perfect balance between the two. That's strictly a personal evaluation, though, as is an owner's experience of the feel of the steering, which I agree is "light".

However, I don't find the car's "light" steering to be an issue, as it goes where I point it, and it behaves in a predictable way. What's lacking is a feeling for exactly what the tires are doing where they meet the pavement. For me, that only makes a difference in braking and acceleration zones on the track, where I'm forced to adjust for that relative lack of feel. In the end, it's a non-issue in a street car.
Definitely another valid approach that illustrates the importance of matching the mod to the use case. I never track, so my approach is to improve my enjoyment of daily street use. Not willing to compromise ride comfort at all from the original. In fact, living in SE Michigan, I changed from 18” wheels back to 17”. FYI, the LCAs I installed add +1 degree of negative camber. Otherwise, specs remain at factory settings.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4379.00