View Single Post
      02-17-2019, 08:16 PM   #1048
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Semantics first...."light" is effort and "tight" usually means degree of responsiveness. I can't help with effort, but for getting rid of the on-center looseness and improving overall steering responsiveness, the best mod I have done is the M2 lower control arm swap (rear wheel drive only), with the kit sold by Turner Motorsports.
Looking for a solution to this problem, I went another route (and I'm not suggesting it's a better route ): at the recommendation of TC Kline, I chose a set of his coilovers, and up front he set the alignment at -1.9° camber and 1/32" toe-in. For the street, it's terrific - I haven't hit a pothole in many miles. The car is remarkably responsive to steering input, and this owner is very satisfied with the street-driving qualities of the car.

For the track, the car is still a bit of a pig, and TC recommends the H&R front bar as the next incremental improvement. It's supposed to add a further, minor increment of noise and harshness, but the car is already perfectly tolerable, so I intend to give the bar a try this season.

My background is oriented towards track driving, and though I drive the M240i very little on the street, I'm still interested in finding a sort-of perfect balance between the two. That's strictly a personal evaluation, though, as is an owner's experience of the feel of the steering, which I agree is "light".

However, I don't find the car's "light" steering to be an issue, as it goes where I point it, and it behaves in a predictable way. What's lacking is a feeling for exactly what the tires are doing where they meet the pavement. For me, that only makes a difference in braking and acceleration zones on the track, where I'm forced to adjust for that relative lack of feel. In the end, it's a non-issue in a street car.
Appreciate 0