View Single Post
      05-10-2019, 12:41 PM   #1
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Help w/ my First World Dilemma

I'm wanting input on upcoming tire/wheel decision. I sprung for the M-Performance BBK, and will need to replace my winter wheels b/c now I can't fit 17"ers; also wanting lighter wheels, as I'm noticing the extra unsprung weight form the new brakes (I was on the base minibrakes prior). Plan is to use these for mixed track and street, with at least 3 more track weekends. Suspension is totally stock, no camber (X drive w/ non-adjustable shocks).

So I'm debating options, and would welcome input. Basically torn between a square setup and staggered, which will then lead into sizing Q's. Also torn between sticking with the Conti Extremecontacts (Max-summer) or moving up into s/t that is an Extreme-summer. I've been advised that for my learning process I'd do better w/ the lower-traction 'Max' tires that will let me work on car control at lower speeds; others obviously vote for more traction.

In a perfect world, I think I'd love to run 245 square on 8.5 rims, but I see a lot of mixed info with some suggesting that this will rub in front. Anybody with direct experience running this w/o rubbing? What offset? Anyone who can comment about 245 on 8" vs 8.5 (I know technically 8.5 is better, but DK if it is a meaningful diff)?

Is it better/worth it to run a staggered setup in terms of track grip, or does that just help with acceleration/drag type use (and I'm in a 228, so less power to overload the rears)? I can live w/ the complication if there is a true benefit.

Are the Max-summer tires more durable on track (better sidewalls, etc), or just grippy and thus wear out faster? Any suggestions for the best versions in terms of feel (I'd rather have s/t that communicates well and breaks away predictably, even if that isn't the true fastest). Potenza S007A is the only listed one at TireRack, but I think I could run others in a 225 or 235 square or 225/255 staggered setup - Ventus, Advan, Direzza, Falken, etc.).

Thanks, input is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0