View Single Post
      10-01-2018, 08:10 AM   #70
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosseau View Post
Can't find the article, but a BMW product manager based in Bavaria made that idiotic statement, and I for one was idiotic enough not to think it through. The editors were also idiotic for not questioning him further. It was quite a diatribe on "don't change from your OEM RFTs." And he specifically mentioned the car being "set up" for them, not just the "safety" factor of not getting stranded.
If we get picky-technical for a moment, the BMW guy was right that the vehicle was "set up" for RFT, but the conclusion about not changing remains wrong. If you think of the wheel/tire assembly as a "vertical pendulum", the mass "swings" up and down over bumps, etc. The heavier the weight, the more strenuous the management task. The components around the hub/front suspension are designed to allow for the typically higher weight of an RFT versus non-RFT. So, in that sense, he was technically right that they went through all that trouble to design for that load. However, installing a lighter weight tire (non-RFT) just reduces the load and is not a problem at all.

Also, one must take into account some cultural issues when listening to folks from Munich. I recall the old story - perhaps true, perhaps not - in the early days when BMW received complaints about not having a tilt steering column, the supposed response from Bavaria was, "We spent all this time finding the perfect angle for a steering column and you want to change it?!?!?!?"
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0