Rep
Drives: '18 M2 LCI

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [0.00]
2018 BMW M2 LCI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praetor353 View Post
Mine has that whine in the lower gears as well, 2016 22k. Never once thought it was an issue though. Are you guys sure its an actual mechanical issue or just your OCD not okay with it? After changing my ATF/filter and it still being there, it struck me as a normal characteristic of the trans. Nothing is perfect, and the positives of this particular trans far outweigh a little noise. There are a number of transmissions from factory that have a whine in certain load/situations. Just my opinion but doesn't seem abnormal or alarming to me from a mechanical standpoint. If it progressively gets worse I would classify it as an issue but if not, playing the warranty roulette might land you in a worse spot having dealership techs rip your new/untouched car apart. What is absolutely a problem is launch control on a torque converter/planetary automatic and that feature should not be included from factory
I previously owned a 2015 M235xi and never had the whine noise at all. I have never abused my transmission by redlining, launching the car, brake boosting, burnouts, etc... My car is daily driven with the occasional weekend drive when weather permits.

The dealership tested my car against other M235i's and those didn't have the whine sound either.