jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Hi all,

Very interested in this product for an always-on lap timer solution on track days. I like how it has built-in GPS + accelerometer and can integrate with their (very expensive) purpose-built video camera and OBDII plug for ECU telemetry. Basically, I'm tired of fumbling with Harry's Lap Timer on my iPhone and forgetting to start the session or thinking I started it only to find out there were no lap times recorded after I'm done with a session. Rather than starting to invest in external GPS sensors, action cam, etc. for Harry's Lap Timer, I'd rather just invest in a dedicated solution that will always be mounted in front of me in my car and ready to go whether I remembered to take my phone with me or not. The SOLO 2 DL + SmartyCam supposedly starts recording lap times and logging data + recording video automatically just by entering the track and can all run on 1 power source being the OBDII connection to the car's ECU.

It sounds like a very well-integrated and convenient solution, but I'd like to hear about any personal experiences out there with running this setup.

Anyone care to share their experiences? Also, does anyone know if a supporting vendor offers the SOLO 2 DL at a decent discount over the typical online price of $699? It's an expensive setup, so if I can save some money with a discount, I'm all for that.

Thanks so much in advance!
I have an older Solo DL wired into the CAN bus on my E46 M3 track car. For general lap timing I find Harry's is good enough. Where the Solo shines is in the advanced telemetry captured that can be viewed and analyzed through their software. Here you will be able to review lap trends to help you determine where you left time on the track. Where you too soon/late on the brake or throttle? Suffering from under/over-steer?

The software is pretty extensive and a great tool to help learn where you can work to go faster. You'll need to invest the time if you want to take advantage of the telemetry. Otherwise it can just be used for gps data capture and basic telemetry to build videos. So it will depend on what you plan to use it for. Here is a good example using the software for analysis.

G'luck.