View Single Post
      05-08-2018, 09:27 AM   #7
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
As I mentioned in the other thread, congrats and I'm happy to hear you're hysterical about the mod. It's not a cheap one, but probably the most substantial handling add on you can do for the RWD car. It's crazy how much "tighter" the cars are, with an LSD, it's so hard to explain this to people who have an open diff. Happy trucking,

D
Yeah, while the open diff and the car in DSC OFF (eLSD active) is good and probably ok for most drivers, I do admit there's a huge difference traction and stability with the LSD in DSC Off and any other mod. With the open diff and DSC Off, it's easy to drift the car for fun, but it's not remotely as composed or easy to control when the LSD is there. Without the LSD, the back end is quite loose and can be hard to predict in comparison to having the LSD out back. It's kind of like being on ice. I can carry more speed and trust a lot more throttle in the turns now, around corners, or even when going straight and the back tires are spinning in 1st and 2nd.

I really want to launch the car now to see if there's much difference in the amount of launch rpm I can use, but I need to hold off for another couple hundred miles. I usually launch at ~3,500rpms with a decent amount of clutch slip and some minor tire spin/slip through most of 1st.

The car feels like it has an extra 500 lbs out back now in terms of the tires feeling planted. Prior to the LSD, the back end felt a bit loose. Now there's more forward acceleration in the lower gears as the wheel spin is better mitigated. In the nanny modes, the nanny's don't appear to be as hyperactive. That could be all in my head though.