View Single Post
      11-25-2016, 12:13 PM   #8
simsimma777
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 M850i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verrilli View Post
I thought I'd pass this one on to the group.

Ever since my 2016 m235i Automatic was new I've noticed a whine coming from the engine or transmission when starting out in 1st and 2nd gears. It was only really noticeable when the radio was off but it was loud enough that passengers would comment on it. I brought it up during my 10K service and the dealer said that they heard the noise but that they did not have time that day to diagnose it. I brought it back to them about 2 weeks ago for diagnosis.

Their first guess was that it was the rear main seal leaking air. This sounded strange to me but then I did a search and it seems that there is a known problem where that can happen. I listened to a video though and it didn't sound like my noise. Sure enough, dealer said that didn't fix the problem.

In the meantime I did some more searching on the web and found that in the UK there are a bunch of people on babybmw.net who were getting their transmissions replaced for noises that sounded a lot like mine.

The dealer spent a few days doing more tests and more consulting. I got a call today saying that they were going to order a new transmission for the car. It has to come from Germany and will take 7-10 business days. So it looks like I'll be without my car for a month.

I'll post to here later with updates.
Colin
I had the same exact problem at around 5K miles. Dealer wasn't sure at first, and ended up replacing the transmission which fixed the problem. I'm at 9K now, and I think the noise is starting to happen again.
Appreciate 0