View Single Post
      01-04-2023, 09:10 PM   #78
Tejas1836
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 X5MC Workmaster 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicalApex View Post
BMW could make this all go away by marketing similar to what we do in tech.

Advertising hardware features.

Advertising software features.

Separating the two will help them to help slow what is causing customers to lose confidence in them in this area.

For instance, what “iDrive 7” features does the LCI G30 lack compared to the G05 X5? BMW has this list in their “Service Pack” details they don’t share, but it would help consumers compare them in an easier manner and to help them align their expectations better.

It also frees up BMW to market iDrive as an infotainment UI that could change independently of the car’s platform. Even potentially via a software update.

My problem is you have to download their “Service Availability Matrix” to get some vague idea of the features any car supports and it is often very out of date.

The challenge of monolithic kernels. A reality for Linux and Android alike since they share a kernel. This leads to drivers needing to be aligned with the Kernel so upgrades to newer versions usually require new drivers patched into the Kernel.

I believe Apple has a hybrid kernel like Windows NT does which allows them to not have to build drivers into the Kernel and makes it easier to support multiple versions, but I could be off.

I agree though. BMW will likely not support Android Auto versions of iDrive anymore than they do current ones. As soon as a new one drops they will forget about the last one.
The Apple kernel is XNU. Complicated for me- a hybrid Mach and BSD, a monolithic kernel
Appreciate 1
TheMaxXHD641.00