06-16-2020, 08:45 PM   #26
SerenVoX
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M235i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Even w/ RWD I would go w/ the 235's for both lighter weight and better fit on the rim. The width of the tire does not change the SIZE of the contact patch, it just changes the shape. So even with tires 2" wider, you still have the same size contact patch (it is just wider and shorter; and in your case, 0.2 inches is negligible). The fit of tire on rim is much more relevant to steering feel and turn in, but also helps overall traction - the tire does not have the free play to 'roll' over onto the shoulder as much. The advantage of wider tires is highly overstated in popular press (and these forums). The benefit is due to more rubber overall and less carcass flex; the patch is shorter, and thus each inch of circumference is only working for a shorter time and has more of each rotation to cool down (and less sidewall flex, so less heat buildup from that). This is only going to show itself under track conditions - you'll notice a change in tire brand/compound much more than these small changes in size.

Much of this is really feel, rather than true performance anyway, so it may be more important to get something you like, rather than something that has the utmost performance - not many of us are going for FTD. A simple way to get a taste of this is to run the same course/route with your tires at 3 different pressures 3# apart (e.g. 32, 35, and 38#). If you like the way the higher pressure feels, go for a smaller tire on a wider rim; or vice versa if you like the lower pressure. Our cars come w/ tires that are at the far end of this (widest tire on those rims), reportedly to give a little softer ride, but I think also for the bragging rights (same as for 20+ inch wheels, the market is driving the engineering dept).

Very informative and appreciate all the information I'm receiving in this thread. I now have a much better understanding of tires vice what I thought I knew.
TBH My first set of performance tires were the pilot super sports (YUCK). I went real big thinking just that, bigger is better. 265/35/18---235/40/18 Then again I did want to go fast at the local drag strip... Welp, I got my first taste of the circuit at Big willow and now all I've ever wanted is to build the car for the turns. I quickly bought the RE71r next and I absolutely loved them. I feel 100% grip around turns with them. I realized tho that the tire size and wheel size was important for turn in and feedback and learned my car was not as nimble and felt sluggish with those sizes. Some of the track buddies mentioned the Advon A052 being slightly faster then the RE71r. I figure Ill give them a try. I will def try the three different tire pressures next time im at the track to further fine tune what I would prefer. Thank you for the informative post
Appreciate 0