02-09-2017, 02:47 AM   #432
Lukkyphil
Paddleslapper
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5 aka The Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigy. View Post
I went out for a drive in this the other week, i assume it's the MG demo at AC? I was happy with the stock exhaust until i heard this, track mode sounds incredible.

I drove the RS3 when it first was released, the exhuast note was lovely and the interior is quality but the overal look didn't do it for me, the one i drove was black with plain silver wheels and it looked boring, also the drive itself didn't feel that special. Sedan may be a different story though.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts after driving both cars on the same day.
RS3 - Interior is nicer, no real argument. M2 looks better from every external angle, based on the RS3 Sedan being an S3 with 10mm odd added to each guard it will still be nice, but fairly reserved.

New Virtual cockpit was shown to me on installed on a S3, pretty nice tech and electronics.

As to the drive yeah the M2 has that lovely slight tail out drift before the nanny aids kick in - fun. The M exhaust was maybe a little too loud with the baffles open, screamed copbait to me. Felt good under brakes, ride was firm but not too jarring on crap roads through Burswood then East Perth.

I got to the Audi dealer thinking it was a done deal on the M2. Took out the RS3 (with performance pack - so 255 tyres on front, 235 on rear), first corner I am winding on the throttle as I am straightening the wheel and was pretty stunned by the grip and acceleration. Kept turning up the wick through a few more corners, and I am thinking that this is defying physics with the ability to accelerate and have it rocket out without more than a wiggle in the back end. No adjustable Quattro in the sportback, unlike the forthcoming sedan.

Brakes are very capable. Ride varied from almost plush in comfort to firm in dynamic. No doubt the M2 is a better track car, but I have paid to play that game and I am not sure I will be doing often enough for it to be a consideration. That said I have a fairly lumpy 1970 Mach 1 Mustang which has no issues getting the back end out - wet, dry and everything in between.

The Performance Pack with the Crystal Blue Paint, and Matt Aluminium external trims is still $8.5K cheaper than the M2. Not alot over the 3-4 years of ownership, as the M2 will probably have better resale percentage. My head is leaning towards the RS3 as being a easier car to drive and live with day to day. To be fair I don't think you could be disappointed with either car - they both are pretty amazing - supercars of twenty years ago were inferior in pretty much every way.

BM Dealer has offered me an extended test drive of the M2, I will take them up on the offer, and see if the M2 can win my heart over, but the head is thinking RS3, and the heart doesn't really mind either way.
Appreciate 0